Important News | Home | How Do I Apply? | Net Price Calculator | Do I Qualify?
Return of Funds Due to Withdrawal | FAQs
Grants | Scholarships | Loans | Student Employment
Forms | Events Calendar | Links | Contact Us
General Financial Aid Information
Applying for Financial Aid
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the financial aid application used to determine financial aid eligibility. It must be submitted yearly. We recommend that all students complete a FAFSA regardless of whether you think you'll qualify. In addition to the FAFSA, seperate applications are required for scholarships. There are also additional forms and requirements that must be completed in order to be eligible to receive financial aid. These requirements can be found by logging on to your Uconnect account.
The Federal Student Aid website offers additional information to help you complete your FAFSA.
Students must be in compliance with the University's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy in order to receive any federal, state and most institutional aid.
Important dates to remember:
- January 1st - FAFSA available
- March 15th - Priority deadline
Step 1 - Complete the FAFSA
- Apply for a PIN at www.pin.ed.gov so you can electronically sign your application. If you are a Dependent student, your parent or guardian must also apply for a PIN.
- Complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov . Include TAMIU's Federal School Code, 009651, on your application. If you have questions when completing the FAFSA, you can contact our office or go to www.studentaid.ed.gov
- Federal Income Tax returns are needed in order to fill out the FAFSA. You will need yours, if filed, and your parents, if you are a Dependent student. The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available through FAFSA on the web. The retrieval tool allows applicants and parents the ability to transfer their income information from the IRS to the FAFSA. It is highly advised that students who are eligible, use the tool to avoid common filing mistakes and processing delays. The tool also makes the verification process easier for students. Please click here for more information.
*If you are not a US citizen or Eligible Non-Citizen but are a Texas Resident, you may be eligible to receive state aid by completing the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA). The paper application is available in our office or by clicking here.
Step 2 - Complete Additional Requirements
Please logon to Uconnect at http://tamiu.edu/uconnect to review your application status and check for additional document requests and requirements.
Note: You must be admitted to the University and have activated your student email account in order to access Uconnect.
If you are selected for verification, you will need to provide additional paperwork. These include, but are not limited to:
- Verification Worksheet (Click here to get the current form)
- IRS Tax Transcript - if you used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool and did not change any income information, you will not be required to submit a tax transcript. If you did not use the retrieval tool, we advise that you log back into your FAFSA and use the correction feature to update income information with the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. Requesting and submitting a tax transcript will cause a delay in processing your aid. Instructions for requesting a Tax Transcript.
Your FAFSA is subject to corrections based on the information you provide, which may affect your financial aid award package.
Step 3 - Award Letter and Accepting Awards
You can view your award letter and accept your awards online through Uconnect.
- Log into Uconnect, your username and password are the same as your University email account.
- Click on the "My Business" tab.
- Click on "Financial Aid Awards" link.
- Select current aid year, click on "Submit".
- You will be directed to the "Accept Award Offer" tab. Select "Accept" or "Decline" from the drop down menu.
- Click on "Submit Decision "
- Review "Unsatisfied Disbursement Requirements" below "Award Decision" for any outstanding requirements you may need to complete your folder.
- Review "Award Messages" at the bottom of the screen for award requirements.
- Click on the "Award Overview" tab to review your Cost of Attendance, Expected Enrollment and Financial Aid Awards.
If you are accepting a Federal student loan, you will need to complete online entrance counseling and your Master Promissory Note at www.studentloans.gov . Note: In-person entrance counseling is required for first-time loan borrowers at TAMIU.
Other options available on Uconnect include, but are not limited to: Overall Financial Aid Status, Account Summary by Term, Award Payment Schedule, Award History and Loan Application History.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email our office at email@example.com.