Office of the University RegistrarMenu
Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation
This chapter is primarily to assist veterans with service-connected disabilities become suitably employed, maintain employment , or achieve independence in daily living.
In order to be eligible for this program, you need to meet the following qualifications:
- you must first be awarded a monthly VA disability compensation payment. (In some instances, you may be eligible without getting any VA compensation. Please see the VA representative for details.)
- you served on or after September 16, 1940
- your service-connected disabilities are rated at least 20% disabling by VA
- you need Vocational Rehabiliation to overcome an employment handicap
- it has been less than 12 years since VA notified you of your qualified SCD.
Services that may be provided by Vocational Rehabiliation
1.) comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine skills, abilities, interests and needs
2.) vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning
3.) employment services such as job-seeking skills, resume development and other work readiness assistance
4.) assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives
5.) if needed, training such as On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships and non-paid work experiences
6. )if needed, post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school
7.) supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling and referral
8.) independent living services
Veterans that are eligible for this chapter do NOT go through the certification process at TAMIU. All inquiries about this chapter should be directed to Mr. Arnaldo Perez at the following address:
Dept. of Veterans Affairs
109 East Toronto Ave.
McAllen, TX 78503
Tel.: (956) 668-0801
Fax: (956) 668-2406
Once approval is granted, the VA will mail an approval form to Texas A&M International University's VA Assistant.