Welcome to the campus of Texas A&M International University in Laredo, Texas, and the Fine and Performing Arts Center. Our new Center is the home of the Department of the Fine and Performing Arts and is located on a 300-acre campus. The Center was designed to house the disciplines of art, dance and music, and this state-of-art facility contains more than just classrooms... it's a performance center.
The Art Gallery at TAMIU is located on the second floor of the Center and serves as an exhibit space for students and visiting artists as well. Here students have the pleasure of viewing works of artists from Texas and across the country. The Art Gallery also serves as a critique space for student shows as well.
The departments music and dance have their own venue for performances. The Fine and Performing Arts Center houses an 817 seat recital hall. It is the perfect
location to hear a senior recital, the talents of our outstanding Music Division faculty or one of the Division's many performing ensembles. The recital hall is a place where every seat is the right seat and is the home of our Kegg Pipe Organ. The hall vibrates with a pulse of life from the pedals of this three-manual instrument. Numerous performances take place here, from the university music groups to national and international talent. The Laredo Philharmonic Orchestra and Laredo Philharmonic Chorale perform many of their concerts in the acoustically warm venue. Enjoy an afternoon or evening of the performing arts with a presentation of music or the colors and pageantry of the Dance Division's Ballet Folklorico, Flamenco and Modern dance ensembles.
The future is bright for TAMIU with the newly completed "Concert Theater" outfitted to handle the many needs of dance, music and drama. The theater has an orchestra pit sized for a full orchestra ... a mechanical lift
that can bring an orchestra to stage level adding extra depth to an already grandiose stage ... or remain lowered for the sounds of a pit orchestra performing the underscore for a full broadway musical. Dance, drama and music will have the experience of a lifetime presenting the performing arts in this newest addition to the TAMIU campus.
The Center performs many and diverse educational functions for the students of the university and citizens of the regions. Among them, the Center's facilities make possible the following:
- Music education curricula........ B. M. with All-Level Certification
- Art education curricula........... B. A. in Art with All-Level Certification
- Baccalaureate degrees in music performance and general bachelor of arts degrees in music and art
- Minors in music, studio art, art history, and dance
- General education and elective courses for non-majors in art, music, and dance
- Community interest classes and workshops in the arts
- Performance facilities for public school recitals and concerts
The Fine and Performing Arts Center is the finest facility of its kind in South Texas. For the first time, the residents of South Texas - from school children to senior citizens- have a state-of-the-art facility where they can both produce and enjoy popular and classical music concerts, operas, musicals, dance recitals, plays, and art exhibitions. The Center promotes the cultural heritage of the region as well as provides the region with greater opportunities to participate in the broader cultural life of our country. The center serves as a teaching, production, and performance facility for TAMIU music, art, and dance students. During the regular school year, the Center is available for use by local and regional school districts and community groups. Though by no means exclusive, below is a general list of the kind of community outreach events, which the Center promotes:
- Performances by University music ensembles, dance troupes, and theater companies
- Art exhibits in the Center's gallery by visiting artists and University students
- Performances by the Laredo Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorale
- Workshop site for both public school directors and their students in music, art, dance, and drama
- Professional performances by touring theatrical companies, dance troupes, music ensembles, and soloists.
Role and Scope of Technology
Technology plays a vital role in the production, performance and instructional activities at the Center. in addition to employing the latest audio, lighting, and mechanical technologies associated with concert halls and theaters, the Center also features the use of the following technologies:
- Digital music technology for private and ensemble instruction
- Media and audio recording services for music
- State of the Art equipment for dance studios
- Visual arts computer lab and photography studio, and
- Networked computers in all faculty offices and appropriate instructional spaces
For more information
To learn more about how you can become a Fine and Performing Arts Center partner, contact the Department of Fine and Performing Arts.