Sigma Delta Pi
Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society (La Sociedad Nacional Honoraria Hispánica), was established on November 14, 1919, at the University of California in Berkeley. On Novermber 2003, Texas A&M International University established its local chapter, Phi Xi, and it continues to grow as new members are inducted every spring semester.
Sigma Delta Pi Phi Xi's goals are:
- To honor those who attain excellence in the study of the Spanish language and in the study of the literature and culture of the Spanish-speaking peoples;
- To honor those who have made the Hispanic contributions to modern culture better known in the English-speaking world;
- To encourage college and university students to acquire a greater interest in and a deeper understanding of Hispanic culture;
- To foster friendly relations and mutual respect between the nations of Hispanic speech and those of English speech;
- To serve its membership in ways which will contribute to the attainment of the goals and ideals of the society.
Inductees are selected based on the following
- Students must be majoring/minoring in Spanish
- Students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA
If you are interested in becoming a lifetime member or know a possible candidate, please email chapter sponsor:
Dr. Lola Orellano Norris (email@example.com)