College of EducationMenu
Undergraduate Admission Requirements
to the College of Education
The following criteria constitute requirements for admission to the College of Education and enrollment in 3000-4000 level Education courses or Communication Disorders courses:
- Application: Submit an Application for Admission or Readmission to the College of Education and a $15.00 non-refundable application fee. Application fee may be paid in person or via the website @ http://www.tamiu.edu/coedu/admission.shtml.
- Courses: Complete all core curriculum coursework with a grade of "C" or better.
- WIN Courses: Complete at least one of the threeWriting Intensive course (WIN) required for graduation, at the 1000/2000 level. (not applicable for teacher candidates with more than 60 transferred semester credit hours).
- University Seminar: Complete two University Seminar courses (UNIV 1101 and 1102). (not applicable for teacher candidates with more than 30 semester credit hours)
- Assessment of Basic Skills: Complete one of the following basic skills tests and pass with a minimal score as noted below:
ACCUPLACER Reading 98 Math 66 Writing Skills 80 Written Essay 6Test score obatained more than five years before applying for admission to the program will not be accepted.
- Demonstrate Oral Proficiency in the English Language through an Admission Interview.
- Institutional GPA: Have an institutional TAMIU grade point average of 2.7 or transfer GPA of 2.7 (3.0 for Communication Disorders Major) on a 4.0 scale, which must be maintained.
- The TOEFL IBT is required of all teacher candidates having academic studies from a country where English is not the native language. A minimum TOEFL IBT score of 26 in each of the four areas (reading, listening, speaking and writing) is required for admission to the College of Education
- University's Foreign Language Requirement: (http://www.tamiu.edu/catalog/current/acadreg-und.shtml). This may be demonstrated by:
- Completion of three years of high school study of a single foreign language with a minimum grade of 80 (3.0) at the end of the third year or
- Earning a minimum grade of "C" in 6 SCH (Semester Credit Hours) in one foreign language or
- CLEP or AP exam scores that award 6 SCH (Semester Credit Hours) in one foreign language (not applicable for Bilingual Education majors)
- Completion of two foreign language courses in one language with a "C" or better from the University's International Language Institute or
- Completion of two American Sign Language courses with a "C" or better.
For more information, Contact Annie Salinas-Dodd, Academic Coordinator with the COED Admissions Office
in Killam Library 426 / COEDadmissions@tamiu.edu / 956-326-2676