Texas A&M International University and the Center for Public Leadership at the Harvard Kennedy School are proud to offer rising juniors the unique opportunity to expand their leadership knowledge through a week long program held each summer in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Each year, six TAMIU students are selected to participate in the Latino Leadership Initiative (LLI) that brings together students from across the country. The students require a two-year commitment, as they will work together with the Office of Student Affairs to complete a community action project aimed at assisting Latino students in the region. Applications are made available in January of each academic year and students selected, will be notified by late March or early April.
- To enhance the leadership capacity and understanding of a cadre of students committed to serving the Latino community;
- To help participants form a strong and durable bond among themselves and with other leaders; and
- To inspire participants to view their own possibilities for leadership and professional achievement as limitless.
- Be a student with a junior level standing at the time of application.
- Plan to be on campus for their entire senior year.
- Be a U.S. citizen, legal permanent resident, or legal U.S. visitor with a valid visa and passport.
- Have at least a 3.20 grade point average
For more information about the Harvard Kennedy School, please visit www.hks.harvard.edu.
For more information about the Latino Leadership Initiative, please visit the Center for Public Leadership.
Related Institutional Goals/Principles
|Imperative 1: Students||1.1 Attract and admit a diverse and international student body.|
|1.2 Increase enrollment, retention, and graduation rates.|
|1.3 Prepare students for successful leadership roles.|
|1.4 Engage students in activities that enrich their lives.|
|1.5 Provide programs and services that support established student outcomes.|
|Imperative 5: Service||5.1 Expand collaborative service, volunteerism, and outreach activities.|
Undergraduate Learning Principle 1: Respective and Expressive Communication Skills
|Undergraduate Learning Principle 2: Critical Thinking|
Undergraduate Learning Principle 3: Integration and Application of Knowledge
Undergraduate Learning Principle 4: Understanding Society and Culture
Undergraduate Learning Principle 5: Appreciating Values and Ethics
|TAMIU Trailblazers: Personal Enrichment (Leadership Stage)|