Any enrolled student who is not a U. S. citizen or a U.S. lawful permanent resident is an international student. Such students could be non-degree or degree seeking undergraduate, graduate, or professional students at Texas A&M International University. If you already have a health insurance policy, you must demonstrate proof of insurance and submit a waiver for you and for any accompanying dependents: spouse and/or children. Individually purchased plans from vendors other than the Texas A&M System provider will not be eligible for a waiver from automatic enrollment in the SSHIP. Automatic enrollment in the SSHIP may be waived for international students in the following instances:
I. A sponsored international student whose program is being coordinated through the Office of Student Affairs (OSA) and whose sponsor requires a specific type of health insurance coverage. Documentation of this requirement must be presented to the Office of Student Affairs at least five business days before the first day of class each semester.
II. An international student is enrolled in employer-provided group health insurance coverage, which includes medical evacuation and repatriation coverage. The waiver may be granted for students enrolled in Texas A&M employee coverage for graduate students and full-time employees only after a Waiver has been submitted and approved.
Your current insurance policy must meet all the TAMU system requirements listed to qualify for a waiver.
All international TAMIU students will be assesed the health insurance fee.
Health Insurance Fee
*Fee only applicable to students that did not enroll for Spring 2015 insurance. Waiver is not available for summer insurance.
International students enrolling in International Language Institute (ILI) courses will be automatically assesed a health insurance fee of $125 per month of enrollment.
Students may only request a waiver of System Student Health Insurance Plan (SSHIP) in certain circumstances and must provide proof of alternative health insurance coverage. Coverage must comply with the requirements set by A&M System Regulations. Find out more about the BlueCrossBlueShild summary of benefits.
The waiver process will be available July 31, 2014 – September 10, 2014. If approved for a waiver, your approval will be valid for the 2014-2015 school year.
To apply for a waiver you will need to do the following:
- Have a scanned copy of your insurance card and policy benefit pages including exclusions as well as your student ID number ready.
- Go http://tamiu.myahpcare.com/waiver
- If your plan meets the TAMU waiver criteria, click the button on the bottom of waiver criteria page.
- On the Student Registration page you will be asked to enter your demographic information and to select a password. Select the ‘Register’ button when done. Go to step #7 below.
- If you have previously created your account select the ‘Student Login’ link in the upper right corner of this page.
- On the Login page, enter your student ID number and password you previously selected.
- Then on the next page, click the link under the heading Submit Waivers (on the right hand side of the page).
- Complete the waiver form and attach copies of your scanned insurance documents.
- Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button.
Once your waiver is submitted and your proof of documents are received by AHP, you will be notified via email within 5-7 business days of your waiver request. You must notify our office if your waiver has been approved in order to remove the insurance charge from your account.
For additional information or assistance please contact Academic Health Plans Customer Service at 877-624-7911.
All international students are automatically enrolled in the A&M International Student Insurance Plan unless they apply for and are granted a waiver. Please refer to following pages for more information on insurance:
For more information visit the Academic Health Plans Website.
Should you have any questions, please contact us at 956.326.2282 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.