Transfer Post-9/11 GI BillĀ® to Spouse and Dependents

Checklist for Texas A&M International University

1.) Apply and be accepted to the University.

2.) Complete the VA Application Va.gov.

3.) Submit required documents on the Document Submission Portal.

Submission to certify your attendance at Texas A&M International University

New students

Previous Applicants

Benefit Information

The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®  allows Service members to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries apply for them at the Department of Veterans Affairs. To find out more, visit the DoDs website or apply now.

Eligible Service members may transfer all 36 months or the portion of unused Post-9/11 GI Bill®  benefits (unless DoD or the Department of Homeland Security has limited the number of transferable months). If you're eligible, you may transfer benefits to the following individuals:

  • Your spouse
  • One or more of your children
  • Any combination of spouse and child

Benefits and Eligibility

Family members must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) and be eligible for benefits at the time of transfer to receive transferred benefits.

The option to transfer is open to any member of the armed forces active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® , and meets the following criteria:

  • Has at least six years of service in the armed forces (active duty and/or Selected Reserve) on the date of approval and agrees to serve four additional years in the armed forces from the date of election.
  • Has at least 10 years of service in the armed forces (active duty and/or Selected Reserve) on the date of approval, is precluded by either standard policy (by Service Branch or DoD) or statute from committing to four additional years, and agrees to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute.
  • Transfer requests are submitted and approved while the member is in the armed forces.

Upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with VA by printing, completing, and mailing the VA Form 22-1990e to your nearest VA regional office of applying online. VA Form 22-1990e should only be completed and submitted to VA by the family member after DoD has approved the request for Transfer of Education Benefits. Do not use VA Form 22-1990e to apply for Transfer of Education Benefits.


  • Tuition & fees payment to the school
  • A monthly housing allowance (MHA)
  • An annual books & supplies stipend
  • A one-time rural benefit payment



Related Information

For additional information, please visit the following website:

Chapter 33 Pamphlet

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill."