Chapter 31: Veteran Readiness & Employment


The Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E) is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. The VR&E Program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs.



  • A complete evaluation to determine your abilities, skills, and interests for employment
  • Professional or vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning for employment services
  • Employment services such as job training, resume development, and other work-readiness support
  • Help finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives and job accommodations
  • On-the-job training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences
  • Post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical, or business school
  • Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and medical referrals
  • Independent living services to help you live as independently as possible



Active Duty Service Members are eligible if they:

    • You have a 20% or higher pre-discharge disability rating (memorandum rating) and will soon leave the military, or
    • You’re waiting to be discharged because of a severe illness or injury that occurred while you were on active duty 
    • Apply for Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess services

Veterans are eligible if they:

    • Have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable
    • Have a service-connected disability rating of at least  10%, or a memorandum rating of  20% or more from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA)
    • Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment on va.gov.

Basic period of Eligibility

The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E services may be used is 12 years from the latter of the following:

    • Date of separation from active military service, or
    • Date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating.


If I’m eligible for GI Bill®  benefits, can I get paid the Post-9/11 GI Bill®  subsistence rate for my VR&E program?

If you’re participating in a VR&E program, you can choose to get paid the GI Bill subsistence rate instead of the Chapter 31 subsistence allowance rate if you meet both of the requirements listed here.

Both of these must be true:

  • You have at least 1 day of entitlement remaining under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® , and
  • You’re within your GI Bill®  eligibility period

Note: In most cases, the GI Bill®  rate is higher.

You’ll need to officially choose the GI Bill®  subsistence rate. Your VRC can help you with this.

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill."